Lead Consultant - Petrochemicals
Reading, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a pre-FEED focused Lead Consultant for Petrochemicals to join our award-winning Consulting Team based in Reading. This position will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for process design engineering across the Petrochemical sector.
The role will report to the Manager of Fuels & Chemicals within the Technical Consulting business. The Fuels & Chemicals business line executes feasibility and concept studies across Refinery, Petrochemicals & Chemicals, Biofuels/Fuel Substitutes, Fertilisers and Decarbonisation projects.
As a Lead Consultant you will provide technical direction and technology expertise within Technical Consulting and the wider Wood organisation relating to the preparation of proposals and execution of studies and projects relating to petrochemicals.
Focusing on technical project delivery you will be a key member across project teams to develop the technoeconomic solution that guides your client to successfully achieve the next stage in their decision gate process.
You will interface with a multi-disciplinary team of highly capable SME’s and Consultants to deliver best in class solutions that will ensure high customer satisfaction.
As an SME you will also have the opportunity to share your knowledge and support with the development and mentoring of less experienced engineers and consultants. Through this you will support your own personal growth and that of our Consulting business as we deliver solutions to a growing world.
The key objectives for this role are:
- Execute and provide technical support to projects within Wood's Technical Consulting group;
- Involved in conceptual and feasibility studies, optimisation work, and pre-FEED stages, including techno-economic analysis and licensors selection;
- Work closely with customers to understand their needs and produce designs and services to meet these needs;
- Be flexible, supporting several studies at the same time without missing milestones;
- Coach and mentor less experienced staff;
- Identify issues and propose solutions using innovative and novel solutions, plus ability to grasp unfamiliar concepts;
- Complete technical design work to a high standard without supervision using Wood's and Client design methods, standards and data;
- Grow in leadership qualities and capability providing optimised solutions to Client’s complex multi-faceted problems; articulating these in a way that allows Clients to readily present to their own internal and external stakeholders;
- Develop compelling and competitive proposals that readily demonstrate to Clients the best way to deliver their project;
- Challenge the status quo, support and be part of an award-winning group that seeks to grow and develop to be the best it can be;
- Be a role model for Wood’s behaviours; encouraging a collaborative, inclusive and supportive team that can have fun and enjoy the work we deliver.
- A credible expert in the petrochemicals field and recognised as such within the industry;
- Up-to-date technical expertise in a range of petrochemicals technologies, e.g. steam cracker and derivatives, methane derivatives value chain, biochemicals, as well as ideally having experience in configuration studies and/or decarbonisation studies;
- Has worked on a range of studies across different markets and understands the tools used and levels of detail required to support the early phase decision making process;
- Excellent analytical and conceptual thinking skills, ability to manage own work and the work of others, plus a strong customer focus and team-working skills;
- Readily adaptable with excellent communication skills;
- Ability to analyse logical problems or problems with several obvious relationships, systematically break a complex task into more manageable parts and identify the critical components of a problem;
- Chemical Engineering Degree;
- Chartered Engineer or Scientist.
- Fellow of an appropriate professional institution;
- Commercial awareness of project delivery;
- Experience in FEED, EPC, Commissioning and/or Operations such that Clients recognise the experience from later phases being considered in their early project phase.
Don't forget to mention EuroClimateJobs when applying.