Trade and Environment Policy Officer
BIR - Bureau of International Recycling
Application Deadline: 5 October 2023
Bureau of International Recycling (BIR)
Founded in 1948, BIR is the global federation supporting the interests of the recycling industry on an international scale. BIR represents indirectly 30.000 companies in 70 countries, and counts over 1000 corporate members from the private sector and 37 national associations. Together, these members form the largest international recycling federation.
BIR covers eight material streams - iron & steel, non-ferrous metals, paper, textiles, stainless steel & special alloys, plastics, tyres & rubber, and E-scrap. It also has committees dealing with shredders, environmental affairs and international trade. The federation provides a dynamic forum for its members to share their knowledge and experience. It serves as a platform to establish successful business relations and to promote recycling among other industrial sectors and policy makers.
BIR is a non-profit organisation under Belgian law (AISBL), with its registered office headquartered in Brussels, Belgium. The BIR Secretariat is composed of a small but efficient team of 9 professionals.
We are currently seeking a dynamic full-time Trade and Environment Policy Officer to join BIR’s advocacy team based in Brussels.
- Support the advocacy team in intergovernmental fora (i.e. UN, WTO, WCO, OECD, and the EU) and contribute to the development of international regulations, guidelines, standards and voluntary agreements;
- Monitor and analyse international policies and the legislative process, advising affiliated members on their implications;
- Handle technical/legislative/trade queries from members;
- Support the Trade and Environment Director and the Director General in developing and coordinating BIR’s advocacy strategies;
- Represent BIR with respect to trade and environment matters in relevant industry associations, platforms and multi-stakeholder alliances;
- Draft reports, position papers, newsletters, presentations and speeches;
- Public speaking and networking.
Qualifications and Experience
- 3 to 5 years of professional experience in industry associations and/or experience in government relations and public affairs;
- University degree in political science or law;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills. Knowledge of other languages is an asset;
- Ability to work autonomously, in a team, and in an international environment;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, flexibility for working hours and travel;
- Strong computer literacy on MS Office, extracting data from statistical databases (i.e. Eurostat, UN Comtrade).
Interested? Send us your CV and motivation letter (one page, including your salary expectation) before Thursday 5 October 2023 at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don't forget to mention EuroClimateJobs when applying.